Yesterday was the last day of the 9 week running program of couch to 5 km!
I’ve made a list of things I have learnt along the way
- during the short intervals at the start I ran like a hamster in a wheel, lots of effort not a whole lot of progress
- once the intervals got longer I ran like a turtle. Short steps and slow but never giving up
- I never missed a single run session
- if I can make it to the halfway point I can’t give up because by then I’ve got less to go than I’ve already run so it’s pointless to stop now
- running in the rain is slippery but quite fun
- riding a bike after running feels like you are learning to ride all over again as your muscles just don’t want to move in that direction
- I run faster when I listen to the Ramones
- performance socks really do work
- getting properly fitted for trainers is a great idea and will help when you are starting out
- a good sports bra/top is a must
- running tights with a gusset are the only tights that should be used for running
- after running I ducked into the supermarket, wasn’t till I got most of the way through that I realised I was committing the horror of tights as pants, epic fail (only did this once thankfully)
- it doesn’t get easier but you do get fitter and improve your technique which makes it slightly better
- even on cold windy days you heat up really fast
- once you stop running you get cold fast
- compression tights after the run make your legs feel like they are getting a big hug and leave your legs not feeling sore
Overall it was a great way to learn to run and get into the habit of running 3 days a week and I’d recommend it for anyone who wants to start running.
Where to from here?
- continue running
- maintain running 30 minutes x 3 times a week
- once running those 30 minute sessions become easier increase the amount of time running in each session
I’ve been thinking about if I should sign up for a run (like the Bridge run) as extra motivation but am on the fence about it. Part of me thinks it would be fun and then part of me thinks I’d panic with so many other people round run like crazy for 5 minutes and then spectacularly blow up and have to pull out. But it’s still under consideration so who knows maybe I will just go for it after all?